Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Oh, Rolex - how I'll miss thee....

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've missed the Rolex Kentucky 3-Day event since I was about 8. Once for my senior prom, once because I was at the Fork and too poor to find my way out of a paper bag, let alone up the interstate to Kentucky, and honestly I can't remember any other times I've not been able to be there... Ok, so I can count it on 2 fingers.

I can still remember the feeling of pulling into the Kentucky Horse Park though... it's a sensation that I call the "Kentucky Stomach" (which I elaborate on starting on page 46 here - http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/EventingUSA/), and I do miss it dearly.

Now what is even more crazy is I know so many people competing... Even John's ex is there (I say he's got a lot to live up to if I got him and she's going to Rolex. :) ).

I also get a bit nostalgic with Ted around this time of year. The other night, while he was eating his dinner, happy feeding that every growing tummy of his while I was scratching his itchy-shedding coat, I asked him if he realized that 5 short years ago, he was one lean- mean- fighting machine, getting ready to run around the last of the 4* long-formats. He said that those days seems like a lifetime ago, and that he thoroughly enjoys his feral lifestyle now... actually, he didn't say anything, but I know that's what he was thinking.

So, in rememberance of what Ted once once, here's some of the images from Ted's trip around Rolex... the images are linked back to their original sources.




No comments: