Monday, December 8, 2008

New Blog, New Cross Country Jumps!

I figure it's fitting that my first blog post comes on a day that I'm basking in the glow of my 4 1/2 brand-spankin' new cross country jumps.  New blog... New jumps... It's like I have a whole new outlook on life.

Several months ago, I moved my horses to the house we rent which equalled many steps forward about how I can manage them and several steps back (I thought) about the facilities.  I basically downgraded from having a cold/hot wash stall; indoor arena; outdoor arena; jumps; miles of trails; etc... to just having a field and a pasture and a trailer for my tack room.  It was actually a blessing in disguise, as my P-diddy horse is gaining muscles he never knew he had through flatwork on a hill, and I'm getting to know my neighbors by begging them to let me do conditioning on their farm's dirt roads!

But now, I have real jumps!  No more stacking what ever I can find in the garage (which was actually really good for P-diddy, cause he learned to not be scared of anything).  My muck tubs and fence poles and deer targets can now be stored in their proper locations, while I cruise around, putting more distance between me and my looming amateur-ism.

John and I spent all day Sunday with chain saws, a skid steer, and a measuring tape (that was my job), and the jumps are beautiful.  There are 4 total with a little 'walk' log in the woods (hence 4.5 jumps).  My engineering-inclined Significant Other has made it so we can make them bigger or smaller quite easily - perfect for the next baby horses that I'm now convinced that I need to bring along!

Of course P-diddy had to make an inaugural pass around them, and did so with flying colors.  His jumping style has improved so much with the flatwork he's been forced (against his better wishes) to perform the last couple of months, and I am continually amazed at how much he matured over his year and a half vacation.  I guess some horses just need some time to grow up a bit before their ready for the big-time.

I'll get the picture of the jumps up when I figure out this blog thing a bit more... till then, I'm sure you'll be on pins and needles.  These are when they are set small - ranging from 2'3 up to 2'11.  Baby for sure, but hey, I'll take what I can get!

No comments: