Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy Birthday P-man

So, in the craziness that has been the last week, I totally just realized that today is P-man's birthday!!!! I know that birthday's aren't celebrated in the horse world, but P-man is part of the family, not just a horse. Too bad it's too late to throw a PPPPAAARRRTTTAAAAAYYYYY.....

..anyway...

So, have you ever been so tired at night that you were pretty sure that surviving a shower and a tooth brushing would be too much to handle in one energy output. Yes, that was me yesterday. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to schedule a weekend full of teaching, even after coming back from 2 weeks on the road. Everything worked out fine, but it was a long day of farrier (7am emergency visit), taking a lesson (more on that next), and teaching/riding at various area barns... and then watching the DVR'd DERBY!!

I think my new odds for Prophet and I is 50-1, since that seems to be a-ok for Mine that Bird... Did you see that race? Absolutely unbelievable.

Earlier this week, I read an article (found here http://tinyurl.com/c7r7lh) that literally had me sobbing at work. I may be prejudice since P is a OTTB, but I really think that any horse that has lived in that world is a special being. Even after he had cleared the leaders, his jockey stopped with the stick, and the croud knew who was going to win, Mine that Bird just kept picking up speed - absolutely loving what he was doing. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Don't get me wrong, my love is with the racehorse - not the race.

I'll go into more detail about the lesson and P-man's week tomorrow... Time for a lovely glass of wine (with a toast to P of course -- I'll have to remember to get him a Guiness tomorrow!), and a movie with John.

Remember -- Ride, baby, ride!!!!

2 comments:

wilsonc said...

Happy Birthday to P-man...reading your post got me to thinking and I went and pulled out Boo's registration and believe it or not...today is his birthday too! I also forgot. I was out there with him this afternoon making him miserable because I was making him cross water. Poor guy! I'll make it up to him tomorrow.

Cass said...

Happy birthday to Boo! I thought I'd be a good mom and give P an extra special dinner with treats and carrots -- since I had forgotten completely about his birthday -- poor guy spit out all the carrots!