Friday, January 8, 2010

And sometimes they surprise you...

Let me paint you a picture...

I walk outside, and for the first time in a very long time, the ground isn't frozen... score! I change out of the cover-all/mudboot get-up into full-chaps and paddock boots, and walk down to catch the pony. He looks so calm and sweet standing in the far corner, begins to lumber up towards the gate, and hits the turbo... great. I catch him, attempt to have some sort of civilized walk up to the trailer, but that process turns into a series of bites, strikes rears, spins, spanish walking, etc... None of these moves are malicious-- he flat out just wants to PLAY! I attempt to tack him up, only to get a call that the farrier is coming early to trim the Ted, so back into the field Prophet goes (for the moment).

Bad idea, because then Prophet lets Ted know that now is PLAYTIME!!! Around the field they go... kicking up their heels for the first time in who knows how long (because of the frozen ground). Finally I get Prophet, which means I can then catch Ted. Let go of Prophet, who then proceeds to get Ted to continue playing -- while I'm leading him! Ugh...

Ted stands like a champ for the farrier. I pay. I run inside and John to tell him to grab the video camera since Prophet is being crazy and he'll "for sure" be doing the Spanish Walk today. My plan was to get it on tape (or at least have video evidence as to which way P ran after he dumped me).

I grab the now-standing-quietely-in-the-field-like-nothing-happened P-monster and tack him up, hop on, and he proceeds to be really, really good! Albiet a quick ride, with not enough warm-up to get in entirely 'through', but he had minimal spooks, no bolts, no Spanish Walking, and a very decent extended trot (which I did get on video, but I'm too ashamed to show because of my attrocious riding). Good Boy P-man!

So basically, that's my long winded way of saying I tried, and failed, to get THE "Prophet Spanish Walk" on video.

Ciao, ciao!

No comments: