Thursday, January 21, 2010

Get that booty moving... 'laterally'

Ok, sorry attempt at a pun... it's just one of those days I guess.

Anywho... The rain and cold are serving as quite a successful way to avoid the too-fit problem I have with Prophet sometimes. We've been doing lots of walking, trotting and a bit of cantering, but mainly focusing on overcoming our severe ADD (both of us!).

Neither one of us really have a problem of just shooting off into full-speed ahead mode the minute my foot hits that stirrup. It's the little things like lateral half-halts, transitions within the gaits, stopping, standing, relaxing.... those kinds of things are our hang-ups.

So that's what we've been doing. LOTS of square corners, leg yields with varying degrees of angle, and stopping and standing, and learning to love it. :)

And suddenly I have this uphill horse who goes forward off my leg, rather then off a spook, and he is starting to have a lengthening, like, REAL-live lengthening. And suspension in his working trot, and collection at the canter, and all this other good stuff that I'm not really for sure what to do with because it's so unlike him.

And we have a lesson scheduled for Saturday with Karyn, and we'll probably lose it all in the ring, but for now it's really fun.

And since my lessons for tonight are canceled do to MORE rain (UGH), I think I'll go see about getting myself a nice (cheap) MP3 player that me and the Diddy-man can rock out to during our trot sets. :)

Ciao, ciao!

No comments: